Record unencypted HD cable shows with Beyond TV
Help us test Beyond TV 4.6.1 (did I mention it includes QAM support?)
Snapstream has just released a beta version of Beyond TV, release 4.6.1, which adds support for the HDHomeRun, networked dual tuner device.
What does this mean?
Beyond TV is Snapstream’s award-winning PVR software (TiVo for your PC). The HDHomeRun allows you to tune and record high definition (HD) programming via an antenna (free over-the-air broadcasts) or via unencrypted cable channels. Most cable providers keep their local digital channels free of encryption (required to by law?). For example, I get all my locals (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC) in HD via cable here in San Jose, CA. Therefore, if you are a cable subscriber, then you can view and/or record these unencrypted HD shows with an HDHomeRun and Beyond TV.
Do I need a digital cable box or CableCARD?
No, a digital cable box or CableCARD are NOT required. That’s the beauty of it. Although you would still need one if you want to receive other encrypted HD channels (ex. HBO-HD, ESPN-HD, Showtime-HD).
How do I get this to work?
- Get a PC that meets the Beyond TV system requirements.
- Buy a HDHomeRun.
- Join the Beyond TV beta program.
- Download the Beyond TV 4.6.1 beta.
- Install Beyond TV 4.6.1 beta on your PC, and connect the HDHomeRun to your network.
- Follow these instructions for setting up the HDHomeRun with Beyond TV.
- Enjoy all the HD goodness!
Filed under: Beyond TV, HDTV, HTPC | 5 Comments